Project description: Design your own Minecraft environment using Hatch Kids
Recommended ages: Grades 1-4 | Experience level: Beginner | Platform: Hatch Kids | Time required: 20-30 minutes
What will we learn? VR and AR Game Design
STEP 1: Open Hatch Kids
Click Here to go to Hatch Kids
Click on Code with Blocks.
You are now ready to begin creating your project!
STEP 2: Design your game
1. Let’s choose an empty template & get started!
- We choose an empty template as we will be designing a Minecraft environment from the start
2. Let’s start designing!
- Designing involves the addition of 3D models to our environment.
- Click on the ‘Design’ section and add 3D models using the ‘Add 3D objects’ button as shown below.
- Delete the default 3D models present in the environment.
3. Let’s start with the environment!
- Add the Minecraft terrain to the environment from the ‘environment’.
- Switch the lighting to ambient.
- Change the Minecraft terrain texture.
- Add an ocean 3D model to the environment from the same section.
- Leave a little open space on the terrain and add the ocean.
4. Adding Minecraft human 3D models!
- Add the MinecraftAvatar using the “Add 3D objects” button and place it in front of the camera.
- Set the position of the camera appropriately behind the avatar.
- Add another Minecraft 3D model and place it in front of our avatar facing it.
- Choose any costume for the MinecraftAvatar of your choice.
5. Adding a church and a bank!
- Since Minecraft is a game about building things, let’s add some structures that are already built.
- Add a Minecraft church and a Minecraft Bank to the environment.
- Position them on the Minecraft terrain and have fun!
- You can add as many structures as you want! Make sure to position them properly. If you cannot see a structure even after adding it, make sure to increase the size, and reposition until the structure becomes visible.
Final design view:
STEP 3: Save your work and download the app!
Make sure you save your work by hitting the “Save” option.
- Click on “Publish.”
- Fill the relevant details about your project
- After publishing, you will receive a QR Code. Keep this open for now.
- To enjoy your game, you will first need to download the free Hatch XR app on Play Store or App Store on your mobile phone.
- Once downloaded, open the app, scan the QR code on your laptop browser, choose the AR option and enjoy!
STEP 4: Share your project with friends and family!
Impress your friends and family by sharing the project with them. Show them your own customized Minecraft environment, and invite them to create similar projects of their own using the Hatch Kids platform!
Wait, can you do more?
- Yes! You can add a lot more things to your project.
- Design your own town with buildings, animals, humans, and birds and show it to your friends and family!
- You can also change the theme of your design to Roblox and design your own projects!
- Add code to your project and make it more interactive!